Today was $5 Friday on the Dr. Oz show, but it’s a re-run so I think we have to ignore the parts where viewers at home were going to win money too. Bummer! Brenda got in the cash machine and made out with $155, because she stuffed them in her bra. That was hilarious! Carmen did the same thing but only got $85. I guess that’s the difference between a DD cup and a B cup, eh? Claire tried holding out her shirt to capture them like a net and got $55.
$5 Fix for Weight Loss
Carmen Wong Ulrich, author of “The Real Cost of Living” joined the show to give us some inexpensive ways to lose weight. Carmen showed us the Salad Blaster Bowl from the Container Store which shakes the salad dressing onto your salad so you get the right amount of dressing all over your salad and you don’t overdo it. Dr. Oz recommends using psyllium fiber to fill yourself up and eat less. Carmen recommends drinking coconut water, which she says you can get for $2 online. Dr. Oz says coconut water contains arginine, which speeds up your metabolism.
$5 Fix for Stress
Carmen says instead of getting a pricey massage, get Styrofoam noodles (the kind you use in a pool to float with). Put them on the floor and roll around on them to massage your back. Carmen also gave us a tip about wine. Choose Spanish or Portuguese wines to get a good quality wine for under $5.
$5 Fix for Insomnia
Carmen recommends listening to the sound of fire crackling in the fireplace. You can download a 10-minute audio file of it and play it on your bedroom stereo. Carmen also suggests putting an ice pack in your pillow to cool down your head while you listen to the fire. Hmmm. Dr. Oz suggests buying a $5 bottle of liquid melatonin, adding 2 teaspoons to chamomile tea, and drinking before bed.
$5 Super Foods
- Eggs: they are cheap, and six of them per week have been shown to help reduce macular degeneration.
- Onions: half an onion a day can help reduce the risk of many cancers
- Chickpeas: also called garbonzo beans and one cup gives you half the fiber you need for the day. Don’t buy canned chickpeas, buy them dried in a bag and get a much better value.
- Popcorn: when air-popped they provide fiber and polyphenols that help fight off cancer. Buy the kernals and air-pop them rather than the microwave kind for the best value.
$5 Fix for Heartburn
- Sugar-free lozenges stimulate saliva which helps settle the stomach acid
- Prop the head of your bed up by putting thick books under the front legs
$5 To Look 5 Years Younger
Holly Carter of People’s Style Watch shared some inexpensive ways to help us look younger. She recommends simplifying our beauty routines.
- For fine lines and wrinkles, Holly recommends St. Ives Mineral Clay Firming Mask. $4.29 at the drugstore.
- For oily skin, Holly recommends Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Towelettes. For $4.99 you get a pack of 20, and use it to wipe your whole face to cleanse.
- For a $5 Facial, put 3 egg whites and 3 tablespoons of carrot juice in a bowl and whisk together. Use a cotton wipe or clean makeup brush to apply to your face. When it dries and gets flaky, it’s time to rinse off.
Fix It For $5
- Fix Bad Breath with green tea
- Fix razor burn with aloe vera
- Fix nail fungus with lavender oil