This evening was the premiere of one of the events of the summer…BIG BROTHER 14! This season there are going to be some changes to the way the game is played starting with the introduction of four previous players who will not be competing for the grand prize but acting as mentors to the other houseguests…I wonder how this is going to work! The house has undergone some serious renovations and the show begins with the introduction of the twelve new hamsters who are:
- Frank from Florida who fails to reveal what his profession is when the houseguests introduce themselves to one another and looks like Richard Simmons’ younger brother…headband and all!
- Danielle from Alabama is the first to lie by introducing herself as a kindergarten teacher to the others during the “meet and greet” phase when she is actually a nurse.
- Shane is a house flipper from Vermont and HOT, HOT, HOT! He has already got the attention of Danielle…will this be a showmance?
- Jodi is from California and a newlywed with five stepchildren. I am sure she is glad to be outta that house, but will she find the peace here?
- Ian is from Louisiana and is studying chemical engineering and has captured the attention of Ashley.
- Ashley is a mobile spray tanning technician from Pennsylvania even though she has a degree from a fairly prestigious college but failed to inform us which one.
- Wil is a gay male who seems to be the social light of this group as he is the first to break the ice.
- Jenn is the gay female who is a punk rocker from New York and readily becoming friends with JoJo who is from New York as well.
- JoJo is the typical New Yorker – glam and attitude – who may or may not become one of the villains.
- Willie is from Texas and the one to look out for from the beginning as he is the brother of Russell Hantz from “Survivor” fame…Ian has already got his number.
- Kara is a model from California and has Ian drooling.
- Joe announces he is a chef from Indiana and is already being targeted as the house cook which he will undoubtedly use to his advantage.
Julie Chen announces the arrival of the houseguests and they enter the house in three groups, selecting bedrooms and beds as they go along. The first group is Wil, Ashley, Jodi, and Frank. The second group consists of Ian, Shane, Danielle, and Jenn with the final group of Willie, JoJo, Kara, and Joe getting the leftovers. As they pop the champagne and get to know one another, Julie is revving up for the next surprise and first twist…
The new group is gathered and told about the changes to the game this season as they battle it out for the $500,000 prize and that is there will be four ex-players acting as coaches with the winning coach receiving $100,000 at the end making them invested in the game as well. The first coach is Dan Gheesling, the winner of “Big Brother 10″, next is Janelle Pierzina from season #6 followed by Britney Haynes from “Big Brother 12″, and finally Mike “Boogie” Malin who was the “Big Brother All Stars” winner and a part of the Chill Town alliance from the second season. The new houseguests seem okay with this twist as they wait to find out whose team they will be on.
As the group gears up for the first “Big Brother” competition which is for the HOH position, the teams are chosen with Britney selecting first and she chooses Shane, adding Willie and JoJo to her team. Next is Mike who first selects Frank, then adds Ian and Jenn. Janelle gets to choose third and picks Wil followed by Ashley and Joe with Dan picking last and seeming to get the outcasts as his team is made up of Kara, Danielle, and Jodi. The participants are fighting for the HOH position in addition to a key to remain in the game as the winning team coach will select the first HOH and the losing team coach must send one player home for good. Who was it?
The first competition is one of the hardest in “Big Brother” history with tilting, rotating, and teetering beds that the contestants must cross to retrieve a teddy bear and go back until three teddy bears are on the headboard shelf an then one needs to go back and turn on the nightlight to win. Britney’s team is green and off to a great start retrieving the first bear followed by Janelle’s blue team and Mike’s pink team. It takes a while for Dan’s orange team to even get one bear while the rest have gathered two. The race is on for the final bear as Jodi struggles for the orange team. It is the green team who do their coach, Britney, proud and she selects Willie as the first HOH (remember he is Russell Hantz’s brother so it will be interesting to see how this week goes). Second is taken by Janelle’s blue team with Mike’s pink team leaving the losing to Dan and his girls who only managed one bear. Dan selects Jodi to go home and you can be sure there will be some stick about that!
Image courtesy of Big Brother Access