Dr. Oz is known for pushing the limits and his new Day-Off Diet Plan tweaks his previous methods for losing weight to form a complete plan that addresses many peoples’ failures in the past. Oz is integrating social media to help keep those on the plan motivated, allowing participants to actually take a “day off” from the diet 5 times a month, and using his many healthy recipes to give a wide variety of choices so dieters don’t get stuck. Most doctors agree that a serious long term diet requires a lifestyle change. Oz is looking at what happens to actual viewers and participants when they fail and trying to find ways to make them succeed.
Day Off Diet Plan
There are seven steps to the plan and they are as follows:
1. Start the day by drinking hot lemon Infused Water-This is supposed to help a person detox and jump start the digestive process but the science behind it is mixed with many doctors and diet gurus on both sides of the fence here. Conclusion: It can’t hurt.
2. Breakfast needs 25 grams of protein. Oz believe the studies that show protein helps fill a person up and keep them satiated. Conclusion: Most experts agree that protein does help keep a person full and slows down the digestive process so hunger is satiated.
3. Lunch and Dinner consists of 3 ounces lean protein, non starchy veggies, and complex carbs. Oz believes the veggies keep a person full as they can eat all they want. Conclusion: Telling some people on a diet that a resource is unlimited can cause weight gain. Lettuce may be healthy but not when you eat 5 pounds of it at each meal. Conclusion: Unlimited does not mean unlimited and moderation is the key to any successful diet.
4. Take a day off to stay motivated. Oz believes most people fail at diets because they feel trapped and know they are missing out on their favorite foods. Conclusion: A scheduled day off can help a person stay motivated when they know they can have what they want at planned intervals. The downside is that many will overindulge here and wreck all the progress made while sticking to the plan.
5. Eat 2 MUFA Snacks Daily. Monounsaturated fatty acids are proven to help get rid of fat in the body. Conclusion: Adding nuts and other MUFAs in moderation can help a person lose weight and stay healthy.
6. Eat 1 serving of fruit per day. Oz says we should limit fruit consumption, over indulging with fruit can cause weight gain as many fruits contain sugar. Conclusion: Fruit has benefits to the body but like anything else, too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing.
You can get the complete shopping list and easy printable details here. You can also find many healthy smoothie and meal recipes from Dr. Oz.
Photo courtesy of Dr. Oz