Doctor Oz, 6/11/2018, is all about body fat and how to lose it safely and we get a list of healthy carbs that aid in weight loss. Bob Harper comes to the show to talk about his battle after suffering from a heart attack and the lessons he learned. We have all seen a barrage of information about getting rid of body fat. Products claim to target stubborn fat in specific areas of the body. Gimmicks promise to melt fat away with little or no effort. Oz has spent large portions of his show dedicated to pointing out methods that work and the ones that are just false. Today, Oz gives us 7 things most people don’t know about body fat, but should.
7 Facts About Body Fat
- There is no one size fits all solution for losing fat. – Oz and Harper both say the reason we see different diet plans is because each person is different. Paleo might work for one person while another responds to a vegan diet. the one common factor is that to lose fat a person must take in fewer calories than are burned through the day.
- There are 2 types of fat. – Oz says we actually have 2 types of fat, white fat and brown fat. He adds white fat is what our body makes when we eat more calories than we need. Brown fat is still under research but studies show it may actually burn calories like muscle tissue.
- Belly fat can be dangerous. – Oz has spent many shows talking about Omentum fat and the dangers it can have to our bodies.
- Fat is useful to the body. – Fat actually releases certain hormones in the body needed for health. It also stores energy so the body has a fuel reserve when needed.
- Cellulite is not just on fat people. – This fat is between the skin and muscle tissue. Oz says genetics and other factors play a role in developing cellulite.
- Cellulite may stay even if you lose weight. – While losing weight will help in losing this fat it will not get rid of it totally.
- There are no spot treatments for fat. – The body burns fat from all over the body. Oz says it is a myth that fat on the legs or other parts are burned when working out on those areas.
Carbs That Help You Lose Weight
- Whole Grain Bread and Pasta. – Oz says whole grains actually help the body keep excess fat away. He adds these grains should be the first choice of anyone seriously trying to win the battle of the bulge.
- Quinoa. – This high protein whole grain will help a person feel full and fuel muscle tissue. It is a staple of the Mediterranean diet.
- Oats. – This whole grain contains beta-glucan which has been proven to help lower cholesterol levels.
Farro, Sorghum, and Barley. – These whole grains are high in fiber, B vitamins, and protein. Studies have shown barley to have properties to help reverse some conditions such as diabetes and some cancers.
- Sweet Potatoes. – This is a starchy veggie and many dieticians say stay away from them but Oz says these are what is called a slow digesting carb so they actually help a person feel full longer and allow them to stay away from diet killing snacks.
- Vegetables. – Yes veggies are all carbs but eating a plant forward diet is one of the most common threads in diet guides. Oz has even said a person can consume unlimited veggies in his most famous diet plan.
Oz finishes by saying the key to a successful diet in portion size control. Balancing the proper portions will help keep calorie intake down and allow the body to burn excess fat.
Photo courtesy of Dr. Oz