School will soon be out for the summer and all that energy will need to be burned up one way or another. If you are a stay-at-home mom and want a list of things that you can plan, we have it for you. Planning at least 2 days a week can make a big difference in the kind of summer they have and your sanity.
Fun Summer Ideas
- Grow a garden together. Pick the vegetables and herbs and let them help you cook or freeze them.
- Grow a flower garden. When it is time to cut the stems with blooms, let the kids arrange them.
- Go to a kids’ museum together. Spend time discussing all you see.
- Go to a carnival or local fair together.
- Set a goal and complete a home project. Their room is a good place to start. Maybe a new coat of paint and re-arrange the furniture?
- Take a road-trip to a nearby city together.
- Buy kites and go to a nearby field and teach them to fly their kites.
- Take them to the local library to check out some books they like. When you are tucking all of them in, read a chapter aloud.
- Make homemade ice cream or lemonade.
- Invite their best friends over one night for a sleep-over and watch a kids’ movie together.
- Go to the dollar store and buy jump ropes, yo-yo’s, and chalk. Have a day teaching them some of the things you use to do as a child. Let them draw with the chalk on the driveway and leave it. String beads are fun too for older kids.
- Find an elderly person and let the kids make cards and cookies to take to them.
- Kids love water. If you don’t have access to a pool or lake, buy a hose attachment that sprays. Get a marked-down pool and lay the hose over a pipe or tree limb to create a waterfall. They will love this. Kids don’t care how nice something is as long as they are having fun.
- Go to a flea market together or a garage sale. Find some hidden gems.
- Let them sleep in. Part of the beauty of summer is that they can relax too.
Photo courtesy of Bing via creeksidenaturals.com